Winter is around the corner and it’s time for some preparedness actions. Here’s a list of some of the best tips to winterize a property:
- The gutters, downspouts and flat-roof boxes should be cleared of leaves and debris to encourage proper drainage.
- The attic insulation – where the attic floor meets the roof line – should be checked to protect the eaves.
- The areas at roof penetrations in the attic should be insulated with spray foam to discourage heat loss.
- The line to the exterior hose faucet should be drained and the faucet covered with a “faucet sock.”
- “Ice melt” bags should be placed near walkways. They are eco-friendly options that don’t harm plants or pets.
- Property owners should know where the shut-off valves are located. If a pipe does burst, a resident can stop the flow of water into the home.
- The pipes located in the garage must be insulated to prevent them from freezing in case the garage door is left open.
- The smoke alarms must be tested before using burners and the batteries should be replaced every year.
- Faucets should be left to trickle on cold nights. This will keep pipes from bursting, even if they do freeze.
- In a chronically damp closet, having a light bulb to always be “on” will provide a little heat and drying. This is also useful inside pianos, to stabilize the environment.
PuroFirst team stands ready to provide professional restoration services to any property affected by fire, water or mold damage.